Garden Log: May 09

Champaka
Champaka

In late 80’s, I read an article in a Sunday magazine of The Hindu newspaper. I still remember vividly its title and some of the pictures published in it. The title was, “Stunning Beauty in the Wild” and it was about the beautiful flowers in the wild and had some really stunning pictures printed. I saved that copy and it took me nearly over a decade before I could clearly understand how these pictures were shot, what type of lens were needed and also to shoot some pictures myself.

That article caught my attention and I was so fascinated by the beauty of the nature’s creation in the form of flowers and the ability of photographic equipment to capture that beauty.

I found such stunning beauty in my own backyard and tried to capture it through the lens.

Equipment:
Nikon Micro 105mm/f 2.8
Nikon D70s

Rose
Rose

Rock Rose Pavonia
Rock Rose Pavonia

Gardenia
Gardenia

Ixora
Nooru Varahaalu (Ixora)

Hibiscus
Pooja Pushpam ~ Mandaram

• By Lazy blogger, May 17, 2009 @ 6:22 pm

Beautiful pictures. How are the vegetable beds in your garden doing? Do keep us updated on their progress

• By sreelu, May 17, 2009 @ 8:36 pm

lovely pics, mari malli vesara ?

• By Nirmala, May 17, 2009 @ 10:07 pm

Yes, really stunning!

• By Desi, May 17, 2009 @ 11:10 pm

Nice pictures!

• By moi, May 18, 2009 @ 4:09 am

What lovely pics, Indira! thanks for sharing. I thought this website may also interest you and your readers (I’m not promoting myself or a friend — I don’t know the person who runs this site):

• By moi, May 18, 2009 @ 4:11 am

Oops, I said Indira, but now I see the pix are posted by Vijay. Sorry!

• By Sruthi, May 18, 2009 @ 5:22 am

Chala bagunai andi… Mandaram america lo perugutunda? good to know…beautiful shots…

• By Ranjan, May 18, 2009 @ 8:26 am

Vijay, beautiful pictures. Work of Art this is.

• By krithika, May 18, 2009 @ 8:31 am

Indira, I am really jealous now !!! you are actually growing Champaka ? I am growing Ixora and Mandaram this year. Photos look lovely as always :)

• By Kalyani, May 18, 2009 @ 9:23 am

wow lovely pictures indira & vijay …. U have a lovely garden ……

• By mamata, May 18, 2009 @ 10:26 am

Indira very lovely pictures. Could you please tell me from where can we get champaka plant………

• By SOWMYA, May 18, 2009 @ 11:26 am

Indira, Very beautiful pics..Chaala baagunaiandi..all of your pics are too good.

• By Lakhsmi, May 18, 2009 @ 11:27 am

Oh Indira! Very nice pictures…Kudos to the photographer and his subjects too :) How is your raised bed gardening coming along..? I think you have a great advantage living in Houston. The climate makes it feasible to harvest a variety of crop year long…

• By Sarvani, May 18, 2009 @ 12:57 pm

Lovely Pictures. Nature is God’s factory. Even If we give scientists hundreds and trillions of dollars they cannot produce such beautiful creations with simple ingredients like sunshine, soil, water and mineral compounds.

• By DK, May 18, 2009 @ 2:09 pm

Hi Indira/Vijay,

that last pic brings deja vu. It has everything to represent our country. Beautiful garden. How is the gardening getting along?

• By smitha, May 18, 2009 @ 2:37 pm

As usual the photographs are simply fantastic.

• By Le @HC, May 18, 2009 @ 7:10 pm

Great pics, esp the flowers that represent India.

• By Mythreyee, May 19, 2009 @ 10:15 am

Very beautiful. “A thing of beauty is a joy for ever”.

• By sacredfig (used to be AA), May 19, 2009 @ 11:19 am

Its amazing that you are able to recreate so much of the typical flora of an Indian garden. The champa, and ixora in particular are the standard issue plants in the garden of any public sector housing in India. :)

• By Indira, May 19, 2009 @ 1:41 pm

Lazy Blogger: Thanks. The raised bed veggies are doing good. I had already tens of tomatoes, couple of bell peppers, few brinjals and chilli peppers. The creepers like beans are also coming along well. Will post the update soon.

Sreelu: Gundu malli, mariyu chambeli vesaanu. Chinna mokkalu avi, poolaki inkaa samayam padutundi koncham.

Dear Uma: Thanks for posting the lovely link. So much beauty out there in our world.

Mamata: The champaka are planted by home builder, part of the frontyard landscape package.

• By Teja, May 19, 2009 @ 7:13 pm

Hey Indira,
    Is “nuru varahalu” the same thing as “rama bhanam puvvulu” or something totally different?

• By Kavitha, May 20, 2009 @ 8:59 am

Hi Indra,
    i like your garden. I stay in NY. Still i maintain lot of flowering plants like gundu malli, relular malli,karvepaku, kanakambram, mandaram etc in pots. Did you try maravam? After seeing your pictures, i noted that, this was missing. You get maravam (Sweet Marjoram) seeds in any store that sells seeds. i usually but them in Home Depot. Try it.

• By Uma, May 20, 2009 @ 11:12 am

Very creative photography.

• By Bhuvana, May 21, 2009 @ 11:24 am

Hi Vijay

Excuse me if somebody already asked this question, but I could not find the answer. What is the English name of Champaka and Mandaram? I googl’ed and not very fortunate in finding it. Where did you buy it?
    Appreciate your response.

• By Kavitha, May 21, 2009 @ 1:12 pm

This is for Bhuvana,
    Mandaram – Hybiscus.
    Champaka – Michelea alba

• By Lakshmi, May 27, 2009 @ 6:25 pm

Indira Garu,

Pics are simply superb. Kudos to you and your husband. Can you please suggest where can we get Malli(Chameli) plants in US?

Lakshmi.