In Season ~ Green Almonds

Green Almonds (Hara Badam)
Green Almonds

Green almonds (Hara Badam) are a rare and raw delicacy in India. I was very happy to see these precious gems again here in Houston at an Indian grocery shop. For us, like I mentioned they are a rare and raw delicacy. Short season and high price makes them a treat. We usually cut the green almond to half lengthwise, sprinkle salt and eat. Skin, seed and all. The sweetness of green almond has a delicate quality to it. Like the valley’s mist in early morning, the sweetness is ethereal and enthralling. You know the vadu manga? Very tender, bud size unripe mango, which is baby sweet with adult sourness just palpable. Green almond’s flavor is almost like that. They are really a delight, and I enjoy them greatly.

• By Sowmya, May 19, 2009 @ 2:41 pm

Wow Indira..Lucky u get them there..I will keep an eye on the Indian grocers here…

• By Kavitha, May 19, 2009 @ 3:13 pm

I regularly look at your website. I didn’t know that one can eat them.

• By ms, May 19, 2009 @ 3:22 pm

hi indira,
    we had a ton of these when we were visiting Shimla. I am really happy you scored these here in the US!

ms

• By Teja, May 19, 2009 @ 7:08 pm

Hey Indira,

I saw them at the Houston grocery store too!!! And i totally wondered what those were, because they kinda looked like “aakakara kaya!” Anyway, I might go buy them later!
    BTW, your website is awesome! Funnily, just like you, I used to live in Seattle and moved to houston about a year ago. So in my case, your recipes and blogs have had regional context. I totally stole your strawberry farms idea. It’s great!

• By Usha, May 19, 2009 @ 7:55 pm

Learned something new today. Thanks.

Usha

• By Preethi, May 19, 2009 @ 9:58 pm

oh wow!! This sounds good..will bu it in the Indian store this weekend!

• By Nirmala, May 19, 2009 @ 10:44 pm

Ths pic looks awesome and I can imagine the taste. Would like to try some right now!

• By Parita, May 20, 2009 @ 2:18 am

Wow gorgeous pic..never had these before..as you mentioned very rare..will def grab them when i find :)

• By Maya, May 20, 2009 @ 6:26 am

Have not heard of this before…

• By Cilantro, May 20, 2009 @ 9:39 am

Never heard about eating green almonds before.

• By Padmaja, May 20, 2009 @ 9:56 am

My kids love almonds, so i will try them, if they have them in our local indian store.

Also, I wanted to ask if you have ever cooked artichokes? I have 2 ideas. One is to make paToli and stuff the artichoke, the other is to make pulao with artichoke hearts. In either preparation, seems like we waste a lot of the vegetable. It makes me hesitant to buy it. Let me know you what you think.

• By fethiye, May 20, 2009 @ 10:53 am

We love them in Turkey, too! But they are not that rare or high priced in season. I remember going crazy the first time I was able to find them in the US!

Ever cooked this (http://www.yogurtland.com/2006/04/28/green-almond-dish/) way? You should try, if you can get some more ;)

• By Gayathri, May 20, 2009 @ 10:56 am

Almonds are at this stage right now in the Bay area. My neighbor has an almond tree, I am allowed to pick the fruits. I usually get the seeds out and eat. When the almonds are at this stage the seed tastes like nongu(soft fruit from the palmyra tree). I will try eating the whole fruit. Your website is a treat to the eyes and of course the stomach.

• By Kalyani, May 20, 2009 @ 10:58 am

wow indira … i dont know about green almonds .. and also about eating them … Will try to find them ……

• By nithya, May 20, 2009 @ 11:32 am

Wow! You get these there? lucky you. I didn’t know about eating them raw. Nice.

• By Shilpa, May 20, 2009 @ 12:17 pm

Hi Indira..I did not knw we eat this in India…btw you can get this almost year around in middle eastern grocery shops like ‘Phoenecia’s’ in houston (Near westheimer & Kirkwood)

• By Indira, May 20, 2009 @ 4:32 pm

Thank you all for the badam like comments. Hope you get a chance to try these gems.

ms: Me too.:)

That is a nice coincidence of travel, and happy to meet you here Teja.

Dear Nirmala, wish I could send you some.

Padmaja: I like artichoke hearts a lot. My staple order at Italian restaurants. I buy artichoke hearts from deli sometimes, to add in pasta. always. Never tried them in our recipes. Your patoli and pulao ideas sound great, and I would like to try artichoke pulao.

Fethiye: Love the recipe at Yogurt Land. I have plenty at home, will try this weekend. Thanks.:)

Gayatri: thanks. Yes, like nunju (taatinunjalu). for the tender ones, the skin also tastes great.

Hi Shilpa: Thanks for the shop name.

• By soumya, May 20, 2009 @ 11:28 pm

Reading your article itself is making my mouth Watery.
    I will sure try your salad.
    Thanks

• By rashmi, June 9, 2009 @ 2:46 pm

Wow… nice to know that you could find them near ur place.
    Thanks for letting us know that we get it here in US.
    Let me keep an eye on it next time when i go to local farmers market. If I get I will try to pickle them like vadu manga. Have you tried them pickling?