WV2 ~ Paneer Tomato

Morning:
A cup of ragi ganji without sweetener
A small bowl of leftover apple-cherry salad

Noon:
About half cup of Paneer tomato. Very tasty and flavorful. Parents also liked this paneer curry.
A cup of yellow vatana(peas), soaked overnight, pressure-cooked and then sautéed with onion and cherry tomatoes and seasoned with hing, salt and black pepper. Generously doused with fresh limejuice.
A glass of tomato rasam

Evening:
A glass of delicious buttermilk with homemade yogurt

Night:
2 chana dal based vada in a cup of sambar soopa
Small serving of carrot-cucumber raita
Few cherries

Workout:
Friends came over for a visit and stayed for dinner. Did a ton of house work. Cleaning, cooking, then cleaning again. On my feet almost the whole day. I believe in a way this is also a form of exercise.

In retrospect:
Should have something at least by 9 in the morning.
Exhausting yet excellent day.

Paneer and Tomato

Paneer Tomato
(for four or two, for one or two meals)

Paneer tomato tastes as heavenly as it looks. It captures some of the delectable flavor of summer season and puts the summer tomatoes to good use. Paneer provides added interest and some nutrition but without all the heaviness associated usually with paneer based curries. The recipe is from Sunitha’s website on recommendation from Kay. Thank you both for this wonderful recipe.

Ingredients:
6 big tomatoes (about an orange size)
12 to 15 half-inch cut paneer cubes
1 shallot or red onion – finely chopped
1 tablespoon ginger-garlic-cilantro paste
1 tablespoon – coriander powder
1/2 teaspoon – salt
1/4 teaspoon each – red chilli powder and turmeric
1 inch piece cinnamon, 1 bay leaf, 1 cardamom, 4 cloves
From masala dabba: Tadka ingredients

Preparation:
Step 1: Cut tomatoes into big chunks. Take them in a pot. Add cinnamon, bay leaf, cardamom and cloves. Also a cup of water. Bring to a boil and simmer. When tomatoes reach mushy-soft stage, turn off the heat and remove the pot from stovetop. Wait until cool, and then take them all in a blender and puree to soft without adding any extra water.

Step 2: In a pan, heat a tablespoon of peanut oil. From masala dabba, add a pinch of cumin and a sprig of curry leaves. Toast to fragrance. Add onion and sauté to soft. Stir in ginger-garlic paste and fry for couple of seconds. Next goes the pureed tomato and the seasoning. Salt, red chilli powder, turmeric and coriander powder. Mix and cover the pot. On high heat, cook the tomatoes until the sauce thickens. Add paneer cubes. Simmer on low heat for another five minutes.

Serve warm with rice or roti or pasta. Good on it’s own too.

Paneer Tomato
Paneer Tomato ~ for Meal Today

© Recipe and Photos Copyright 2009 Indira Singari.

• By Bhuvana, July 20, 2009 @ 4:04 pm

Paneer tomato looks wonderful, Indira. Will try this coming weekend.

• By Kay, July 20, 2009 @ 7:34 pm

You loved the paneer too? :) That’s one of the very few paneer dishes I like.

• By anupama, July 20, 2009 @ 10:07 pm

I too am an low/no carb diet. Just one question – Isn’t ragi a grain? Or is it allowed because it is so nutrient dense? My problem on this diet is the fiber intake. Despite eating so many veggies my daily fiber intake is pretty low and I’m not eating fruits to limit the sugar. Addition of ragi malt would definitely help with the fiber, hence the question.

Hello Anupama, Ragi ganji is a millet based drink. It is allowed in this Workout Vratham mainly because I prefer it over all other choices for morning beverage. And also it is my main steadfast source of nutritional comfort in the morning.

• By DK, July 20, 2009 @ 11:50 pm

its such a coincidence that I posted Paneer Bhurji today.

Yes, housework is also considered as excellent housework by me. A good and satisfying day from the looks of it :)

• By Nirmala, July 20, 2009 @ 11:56 pm

All the best for your vratham. Tomorrow is Soorya Grahanam and watch out for changes in your body and keep any eye on the diet too. Take care. The tomato paneer looks so very inviting. It must be great with soft phulkas. would try and let you know.

• By arundati, July 21, 2009 @ 1:01 am

looks great…. i had adai for breakfast and lunch and dhokla for dinner, will post soon. tho i know its a lot of channa!! so far no side effects!! same question as anupama, is ragi allowed??

• By PARI, July 21, 2009 @ 2:01 am

Hi! Great going with your vratam. I like this curry a lot. Can have it any time of the day. I am a paneer freak.

• By Hari Chandana, July 21, 2009 @ 5:52 am

looks very healthy and delicious!… I love the bright, vibrant color of this dish!… preparations is also easy.. Thappakundaa try chesthanu.. :)

• By vrinda, July 21, 2009 @ 7:45 am

That looks wonderful..great combo,really flavorful gravy..

• By ranjan, July 21, 2009 @ 8:51 am

Paneer my favourite. The colours are wonderful and low fat! Thank you for sharing.

• By srividya, July 21, 2009 @ 10:33 am

nice recipe! but what a coincidence. i made this a few days back. wanted to eat paneer badly. made this from sailus kitchen.

• By Latha, July 21, 2009 @ 10:59 am

Thanks for sharing your daily menu, Indira. It’s very interesting to note the combos you make everyday with so much passion.

• By Mriganayani, July 21, 2009 @ 11:41 am

Hi Again,

I just left you another comment.

Here’s a good recipe to try when you are watching what you eat – this is a really high protein -low fat dish – made with soy chunks. I loved this when I made it the first time. Now, I make it quite often.

here’s the link if it’ll help you – http://www.mriganayani.com/2009/06/baked-soy-cutlets.html

• By krithika, July 21, 2009 @ 12:37 pm

have become a big fan of Ragi Kanji. didnt care for it much growing up. thank you so much !

• By Parita, July 22, 2009 @ 5:42 am

Tomato paneer curry looks mind blowing…delicious perfect with roti

• By Mythili, July 22, 2009 @ 7:17 pm

“On my feet almost the whole day. I believe in a way this is also a form of exercise. ”

This is sooo true Indira. And my, the paneer dish looks so awesomely delicious.

• By Bindaaz, July 22, 2009 @ 9:51 pm

Thanks Indira!

After making some yummy Tomato Mac&Cheese for my little girl, I checked Mahanandi yesterday to look for some tomato based paneer recipes. What a surprise to see just the one I am looking for on the top! I made this today with slight modifications. Added half a cup of hot milk for creaminess, a tsp sugar to reduce the sourness of tomato and some mint for extra flavor. It came out superb and a big hit at home. My 2 yearold kept licking saying it is soup :) .

• By anupama, July 23, 2009 @ 10:23 am

Thanks Indira for your reply.

• By Balu, July 30, 2009 @ 1:09 am

I made this today and it came out very tasty. Thanks Indira garu. My addition to this recipe is thinly sliced capsicum, which adds a nice sting to the curry.

• By kalyan, October 15, 2009 @ 12:37 pm

My wife made this dish and it is awesome..Love the light flavor of the gravy..and my kids love it..what more can I say?

• By Chandhana, October 21, 2010 @ 1:59 am

HI Indira… you have an awesome blog….

a tip…. you can pressure cook paneer cubes with salt and a cup of water, drain the water and deep fry the cubes…. they will taste awesome and have a very soft texture…