WV11 ~ Henna Flowers

Henna Flowers (Gorintaaku Puvvullu)
Gorintaaku Puvvulu (Henna Flowers) from Backyard

Henna plant is in bloom since July. I don’t remember ever noticing henna flowers at Nandyala, and I am surprised at the beauty and fragrance of henna’s pretty petite flowers.

*************
WV Log for Day 11:

Morning:
2 pesarattu with coconut chutney
A glass of ragi ganji without sweetener

Noon:
A small cup of brinjal-papdi lilva curry (vankaya-anapaginjala kura)
A bowl of masoor dal rasam with cherry tomatoes
A small cup of homemade yogurt

Evening:
A cup of ginger tea without sweetener

Night:
A small cup of chickpea guggullu (Mangala Gouri Vratha Vayanam from a friend)
A small cup of brinjal-papdi lilva curry
A cup of masoor dal rasam with key lime pickle on the side
For dessert: A cup of apple with yogurt

Workout:
Decided to take a break from gym this week. Prepared saggubiyyam vadiyalu for sun-drying – morning
Pillow covers sewing project still going on – evening

In Retrospect:
Pleasant day. No carbo cravings.

• By Kalyani, July 29, 2009 @ 12:13 am

wow henna flowers … nice photo … saw & pluck them everytime when i used go to my village in summer holidays … Used to keep mehendi …. Thanks Indira for remembering my childhood days …

• By Nirmala, July 29, 2009 @ 12:47 am

Th fragance of the henna flowers are intoxicating and I am very much addicted to it infact. Happy to see the blooms. Looks like you have won over the carb cravings! all the best Indira!

• By Kay, July 29, 2009 @ 6:50 am

Yeah, like Nirmala said – the fragrance of henna flowers is intoxicating. I grew up with a big henna plant in the front yard of Ammamma’s house and loved it! That picture is very nostalgic.

• By James, July 29, 2009 @ 9:10 am

Where do you find a Henna sapling in Houston? I am trying to find one for my backyard.

• By friend, July 29, 2009 @ 11:01 am

Please blog on how you make sago vadiyalu or any others that you are familiar with? Your website is excellent and I really like your WV concept.

• By DK, July 29, 2009 @ 1:23 pm

Never seen henna flowers before

• By DK, July 29, 2009 @ 1:26 pm

come to think of it – never saw a henna plant before! Looks so good. :)

• By kalva, July 29, 2009 @ 3:39 pm

mom has this plant and its huge now

• By Raji, July 29, 2009 @ 5:57 pm

I wish if i could grow it in our backyard..love the fragrance. i am so happy to see all the tropical white flowers pics from your backyard…they are beautiful.

• By Uma, July 29, 2009 @ 8:29 pm

Smell of gorintaku bloom is very sweet, I know it from our backyard in India, but, my maruvam is blooming here in NJ, never heard of that, until now!

• By Rajitha, July 29, 2009 @ 10:29 pm

i loved and still love ur WV series. I do think the carb cravings subside after a week…i mean you will crave carbs maybe for a few minutes occasionally, but i remember when i was on a low carb diet, the first week esp. day 4-7..was torture! When you move thru those days..it is really not too bad. i also liked your workout routine and honestly…i too work out like how you do…or it is impossible for me to lose weight! you are doing awesome…good for you!

• By Asma Tirmizi, February 1, 2012 @ 11:03 pm

Hi

I am looking for Henna Plant. Does anyone know where can I find it from please.

Thanx

• By Adanary, August 7, 2014 @ 1:00 pm

I am in Houston. I grew up with the henna plant in my grandmother’s front yard in south Texas. Knowing how fascinated I’d always been by it,a few years before her death she insisted I take it home with me, it lives in the same pot she gave it to me in…13+ years ago! I have propagated many times and anyone who would like can inquire about seeds. I don’t see it at the nurseries, not sure why? She called it “Receda” in Spanish. I would love to share this beautiful plant with anyone.