Going Ga Ga for Guava: Guava Guacamole

Last Saturday, I was surprised to see bushels of guava at Fiesta, a local Mexican market.

From a distance the guava looked like good quality limes. They were small, pale yellow in color and smelled promisingly sweet. At pound $ 1.99, I couldn’t resist those yellow beauties.

After mangoes and cherries, guavas are my favorite fruit. I don’t know what it is about them, I could easily go into nostalgic ga ga over familiar fruits. Here I was in 2006, going on and on about guava. They inspire such longing, don’t they?

After I had my fill of raw fruit, which were delicious and sweet, I’ve thought of making something new with guava today.

Guavas with salt and pepper are a common roadside snack growing up in Bharath. These guavas I purchased are from Peru. To honor their origin, what’s better than an addition of avocado? Like I’ve imagined, the guava gave the avocado some sweetness and nice hint of aroma. Plain guacamole is always good, but guava guacamole tasted supreme. I loved this Aztec and Bharath combination for my meal today.

Guava Guacamole
(makes about two small cups)

1 big-sized, semi ripe avocado
3 lime-sized, semi ripe guavas
1 lime, for juice
Pinch each – salt and red chilli flakes

Cut avocado to half. Take out the pit. Cut the fruit to tiny pieces.
Cut guavas to small, bite sized pieces.
Place avocado and guava pieces in a bowl. Sprinkle salt and red chilli flakes. Squeeze lime juice. Gently combine. Serve.

Meal Idea: Generously apply guava guacamole on a warm chapati, paratha or pizza for a taste that defies description. We had it with thin crust pizza for dinner. Good meal.

Guava Guacamole
Guava Guacamole ~ For Meal Today

© Recipe and Photos Copyright 2009 Indira Singari.

• By DK, October 19, 2009 @ 8:48 pm

Avacado and Guava! Oh My! trust you to create something like this! Mind boggling combo! Bookmarked to try!

• By Madhu, October 19, 2009 @ 8:59 pm

very creative combo.. must try them.

• By mona, October 19, 2009 @ 10:14 pm

I miss guava a lot, not that they aren’t available here, but very costly.
    The click is very delicious, makes me have it right now.

• By smita, October 19, 2009 @ 10:27 pm

Hi
    First time here. lovely indian stuff. loved ur palak chole n spicy peanut butter recipe. Amazing pics too – the apple cherry pic n mango meal pic is truly my favorites.
    - Smita

• By rashmi, October 20, 2009 @ 12:06 am

wow..will give it a try when my guava tree gives fruits..just this summer planted a guava tree in backyard…

• By Lubna Karim, October 20, 2009 @ 12:41 am

My all time favourite fruit….. guacamole with it sounds extremely yum…

• By Ami, October 20, 2009 @ 1:22 am

Guava (beehi, called in my area of Bharath) is my favorite fruit. We used to have 4 trees in my garden when I was in school. Everyday after coming back from school I use to pluck minimum 10 Peru and have some 7 of them…
    In fact, my husband main reason to come to Sasural is to go in December and eat Guavas of my hometown…:-)

• By Ranjan, October 20, 2009 @ 4:19 am

Oh Guava love them. Cannot get them easily here, but recently on a vacation to South Africa I had them every day, delicious! Avacado and Guava combo sounds great.

• By moi, October 20, 2009 @ 4:21 am

Creative recipe, gorgeous and creative photo (as usual!). It’s so lovely to have you back, Indira!

• By Amrita Tripathy, October 20, 2009 @ 6:23 am

mouth watering delicacy…!! gonna prepare tonight.

• By rekha, October 20, 2009 @ 10:28 am

very interesting Guava and avocadoo nice combination

• By Madhuram, October 21, 2009 @ 10:35 am

That’s an interesting combo Indira. Finally a post from you after such a long time. But it’s definitely worth the wait.

• By Bhuvana, October 21, 2009 @ 3:53 pm

Indira, I went to Fiesta after work yesterday and got those guavas you’ve written about. Thin skin, sweet, they have excellent taste. Thanks for the tip.
    I also made the guava guacamole and we had it with thin crust pizza from Papa Johns. :) Like you say, it was a good meal. I’d have never made such combination, so thanks again for expanding my culinary horizons.:)

• By sreelu, October 22, 2009 @ 12:31 am

Indira garu, this is amazing, I must say I am lucky to have this tree right in my backyard for some reason they fruit in winter in US. Can’t wait to try this recipe.

• By Mamatha, October 24, 2009 @ 5:48 pm

Oh, I absolutely love the idea of pairing guava with avocado. With similar textures but complementary flavors, this must have tasted divine. Very creative Indira!

• By Sanjana, October 30, 2009 @ 4:33 pm

This looks so fresh and delicious! Yummy!