Strawberry-Oats Cake

Farm Fresh Strawberries

Spring is in the air and fresh berries are making an appearance in grocery stores. I bought a box of fresh strawberries yesterday and with some of those berries I baked a strawberry cake for the weekend. It is a substantial cake with a simple recipe. The surprise ingredient is oats and they make the cake more moist and gooey than crumbly. I also added mashed banana (to make it egg-free) and pecans for some extra sweetness and crunch.

Strawberry-Oats Cake

2 cups, all-purpose flour (unbleached)
1/4 cup, oats (old fashioned, Quaker brand)
1 and 1/2 cups, sugar
1 teaspoon, salt
1 teaspoon, baking powder
1/2 teaspoon, baking soda

1 ripe banana, mashed with a tablespoon of lime juice
1/2 cup, plain yogurt
1/2 cup, peanut oil
1 cup, cut strawberries
1 cup, coarsely chopped pecans

In a big bowl, take flour and oats. Add sugar, salt, baking powder and soda. Mix well.

Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the mashed banana, yogurt and oil. Mix well until thoroughly incorporated. Add the strawberries and pecans. Gently combine.

Lightly oil a deep 7- inch round cake pan. Spoon the mixture into the pan and smooth the surface.

Preheat the oven to 350 F. Bake the cake for about 45 minutes until firm to the touch or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Leave the cake to cool for 30 minutes. Serve and enjoy.

Strawberry-Oats Cake
A Slice of Strawberry-Oats Cake to Welcome the Sweet Spring Season

• By simplyfood, March 5, 2010 @ 4:52 pm

Wos strawberry cake looks absolutely delicious.

• By Claire, March 5, 2010 @ 6:36 pm

Pretty strawberries and cake! And oats are a great surprise ingredient. I make a baking mix that’s half oatmeal flour and everything comes out so moist and hearty.

I’m not convinced that spring is in the air, though. I’m in west Houston and the only green in my grass is the monkey grass that’s not supposed to be there. Oh well, spring will be even sweeter for having to wait.

• By Divya Vikram, March 5, 2010 @ 6:39 pm

So hearty cake!

• By arundati, March 5, 2010 @ 11:12 pm

i love earthy hearty fruit filled cakes, i must admit tho, that i haven’t yet baked with oats… must try… love the pic of the strawberries

• By Nandita, March 6, 2010 @ 12:44 am

I don’t have strawberries right now, but two overripe bananas and oats in plenty – so will try out your recipe this weekend.

• By Aparna, March 7, 2010 @ 10:46 am

That cake looks lovely and I guess the oats makes it even better.
    Its strawberry season here now and I made a ckae too, but a bit different.

• By leena, March 7, 2010 @ 2:37 pm

Looks yummy and delicious !

• By lakshmi sharma, March 8, 2010 @ 12:36 am

Delicious looking cake. I am definitely going to try it. Thank you Inidira

• By aarthi, March 9, 2010 @ 12:30 pm

cake recipe looks simple and the cake looks great, thankyou for sharing

• By Rohini, March 11, 2010 @ 5:32 pm

I tired this recipe, last night. Very simple & easy to make & tasted delicious too!

• By mahek, March 14, 2010 @ 10:18 pm

WOW!!!
    You really have some great recipes to share..With all the ingredients available in the market right now i will give this cake a try .. I am not sure if we get pecans in the Indian market can i substitute it for something else…

• By Jayashree, March 31, 2010 @ 11:49 am

Hi Indira…just wanted to let you know that I tried this cake out. I made it in the mw, and it has come out really, really well. It tastes great and is nice and moist…..I’ve blogged about it.Thank you for the recipe.

I am happy that you tried and liked this recipe. Yours look really good, Jayashree, better than mine, to tell you the truth.:) Thank you for the feedback and for the link at your blog.

• By chitra puri, April 3, 2010 @ 1:40 am

Tried your cake out a couple of days ago. It was excellent! I made it in a bundt pan. Served it with fresh strawberries and cream.

Happy to know that you tried and liked this recipe, Chitra Puri. Thanks for letting me know.

• By Sue, August 27, 2010 @ 1:07 pm

Have made this cake about 4-5 times in teh last couple of months. Used peaches, strawberries, mangoes – all came out fantastic.

• By Aruna, January 28, 2011 @ 12:39 pm

Thank you for the recipe. Tasted delicious made it with blueberry. :)

• By priya, July 22, 2011 @ 8:55 am

Wonderful recipe.Tried it and it was yummy.Increased the amound of strawberries skipped the oats as I did not have..This recipe is a treasure.Thanks.