Avocado~Methi Paratha

When culinary comfort is needed, it has become a habit to go into the kitchen to make parathas. Parathas magically transform dull looking meal options into a centerpiece meal, perfect for weekday eating but also special enough for that potluck party. Simply combine wheat flour with a favorite ingredient, rollout and cook, you have created something rich and tasty. For today, it was luxurious avocado and ultra-soulful fresh methi, gently kneaded into durum wheat flour and made into soft and satisfying parathas.

Avocado

Avocado-Methi Parathas
(for 8 medium-sized parathas)

Ingredients:
2 cups whole-wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 ripe avocado cut, seed removed and ripe flesh smoothly mashed
1 cup, finely chopped fresh methi leaves and tender stems

Method:
In a bowl, sieve wheat flour with salt. Add avocado and methi. Mix well and gently knead. Add couple of teaspoons of water if necessary to make firm dough. Keep covered for at least 15 minutes.

Divide the dough into 6 to 8 equal sized pieces and shape them into smooth rounds. On a wooden board or on a clean countertop, take a paratha dough piece, dust with flour and roll into 6″ diameter circle with a rolling pin.

Place a tava or griddle on stove-top and heat. When the tava is hot, place the paratha and cook on medium-heat to golden brown on both sides.

Serve hot with some curry or yogurt or pickle.

Avocado Methi Paratha with Methi Chole
Avocado Methi Paratha with Methi Chole ~ For Meal Yesterday

• By Suma, April 27, 2010 @ 6:02 am

We loved your avocado paratha. This looks good too. Will make it this weekend.

• By Kay, April 27, 2010 @ 6:35 am

That last picture looks like a hammock that is used for a baby! Beautiful!

Avocado and methi sounds perfect for parathas.

• By Manju Rajender, April 27, 2010 @ 6:36 am

Indira they look very perfect as usual. A very healthy dish and a wonderful way to use avocados…. I remember making avocado chappathi for the first time ( a couple of years ago) after looking at the recipe in ur blog :)

• By Lori, April 27, 2010 @ 7:28 am

Oohh, I love methi paratha! After making your avocado chapati, I have no doubt these are soft pliable little gems. Avocado + atta = genius.

• By rashmi, April 27, 2010 @ 9:22 am

looks yum yum

• By Harini, April 27, 2010 @ 11:26 am

ya a great combo avocado and methi leaves…the parathas would be very soft..we luv it!!

• By shylaja, April 27, 2010 @ 3:37 pm

I did the exact same thing too. I can’t beleive in the coincidence.

• By Jay, April 27, 2010 @ 6:54 pm

Hy Indira,

First time here. Amazed by your healthy collection of fab recipes. Avacado methi paratha seems interesting with cute photo. Will definitely try this.

Do drop in at my blog sometime.

• By SS, April 27, 2010 @ 10:36 pm

I had heard that avocado gets slightly bitter if included in preparations where it is heated. I can see that you have used it in your paratha. The avocado must have got cooked/heated. Didn’t get bitter I guess? Thanks for sharing the recipe! Cheers!

• By Ranjan, April 28, 2010 @ 2:42 am

Indira, we all love your avocado rotis, they always turn out so soft and tasty, I could just eat them on their own with yogurt, now I must try the parathas with methi and avocado.

• By S, April 28, 2010 @ 7:47 am

Wow! This is so innovative! Sometimes in Bangalore we get a glut of avocados and can’t use them up fast enough before they spoil. New dishes are welcome.

But I have the same question as SS: whenever I have heated avocado they have turned bitter. Didn’t this happen with the parathas?

• By Hari Chandana, April 28, 2010 @ 8:22 am

Woww.. nice and healthy recipe.. looks awesome.. :)

• By Kalyani, April 28, 2010 @ 9:30 am

wow it looks very delicious & heralthy …

• By Kavitha, April 29, 2010 @ 2:13 am

The parathas look delicious

• By Gayatri, April 29, 2010 @ 7:13 am

Avocados should be eaten uncooked to get all the health benefits and to preserve vitamins. I use them in salads, tacos or just scoop it with spoon and eat it.

• By Indira, April 29, 2010 @ 8:30 am

Like Lori mentioned, avocado + atta is genius, and happy to note fellow fans of this combination. Hope you get a chance to try and enjoy this new addition to the genius paratha parivar.

SS and S: Avocados are usually eaten raw in kosambaris. But when it comes to rotis, ripe avocado pulp tastes and acts like makkan, moistens the roti dough well and makes the rotis softer. I haven’t felt any bitterness. I think it’s because avocado mixes with the flour and not in direct contact with heat.

• By Narayan, May 1, 2010 @ 2:20 am

How quaint, Indira. This is really looks and sounds yumm.

• By smitha, April 5, 2011 @ 5:23 pm

I tried it the same way but just with the avocado. It is really yummy.

One more simple Avocado recipe
    I love this for evening snack. quick and easy