Weekend Vegetable Harvest for May 4th Week

Vegetable Harvest for May 4th week
Home Garden Harvest for May 4th Week

As the summer approaches, I see brinjals getting bigger and tomatoes slowly changing color from green to red shades. Tiny pequin peppers are also coming up a lot. They would make great tadka mirchi. My plan is to soak them in dahi(Indian yogurt) and sun-dry to prepare dahi mirchi.

Here is the vegetable count for this week.

7 yellow zucchini
1 green zucchini (I thought I planted only yellow)
9 cucumbers (pickle variety)
6 brinjals (purple variety)
15 okra (bendi)
8 cherry tomatoes and 1 big, ripe tomato (Cherokee Purple)
28 green chillies (bajji variety)
4 anaheim peppers
Bunch of chilli pequins (tiny tadka/talimpu mirchi)
Bunch of green beans

Do you know cucumber pickle recipes without vinegar? Any new ideas and recipes for the above vegetables? I would love to hear from you.

• By Gauri, May 23, 2010 @ 12:41 pm

i have been following your blog since a long time, but this post is so special.. what wonderful harvest! lucky you

• By Sowmya, May 23, 2010 @ 1:29 pm

Am so so so jealous.. I think I should stop checking Mahanandi until the harvest season is done! :P

• By haritha, May 23, 2010 @ 3:01 pm

wow great job

• By Sonia, May 23, 2010 @ 4:59 pm

Glad you got all these veges from ur garden. Your efforts have been paid off! Enjoy! :)

• By Shambhavi, May 23, 2010 @ 6:12 pm

Hi Indira -
    I found a new product at whole foods called “Coconut Aminos.” It’s supposed to be a soy sauce replacement, but it’s quite sweet and not too salty. I bet it would make a good cucumber “pickle.”

The other suggestion is to use Braggs raw, organic apple cider vinegar. It has live enzymes and, unlike distilled vinegar, does not increase pitta or acidity in the stomach. It’s post digestive effect is actually alkalizing. Go figure. Jai Ma, Shambhavi

• By Sandhya, May 23, 2010 @ 6:43 pm

here is something you can try for pickling cucumbers.
    soak whole [preferably yellow] mustard seeds+ red chillies in water that has been sterilized[ boiled and slightly warm] for a couple of hours. grind into a paste and add to cucumber along with turmeric. after a day add salt and oil that has been heated and then brought to room temperature. mix well and add lemon juice and ginger pieces, [both optional]. I have had this last for a week till it was consumed so don’t know how long it can last beyond that. I just experimented with maghali pickling spices. I have mixed this pickle with yogurt for a different take on raita. love your blog.

• By Anu R, May 23, 2010 @ 11:21 pm

Wow!

• By Ramya, May 23, 2010 @ 11:36 pm

Your harvest basket looks very beautiful! I wish I could live in Houston! :) Enjoy the warm weather.

• By Vidya, May 24, 2010 @ 12:18 am

Here’s a pickling recipe I’ve had on my bookmarks for a while but haven’t yet tried. Can’t see why it wouldn’t would work for the cukes.

• By Nandita, May 24, 2010 @ 4:44 am

There’s really no better way for being in touch in nature and her seasons than growing your own produce- i hope to do this soon :) and will come back to you for tips and inspiration-
    Tried an interesting cuke raita today – just mixed diced cukes, fresh dahi and fresh curry leaf podi-no tadka…tasted heavenly- you can add any other podi like sesame podi to this raita for a twist!

• By Sridevi, May 24, 2010 @ 6:03 am

Love those fresh veggies direct from garden.

• By Usha, May 24, 2010 @ 6:05 am

Look at those brinjals and tomatoes. Am intrigued by those small chillies. As for the recipe – may I suggest Pulikuthi upperi ?

We make it the same way as this recipe -

Usha

• By N S, May 24, 2010 @ 10:07 am

Wow, basket looks wonderful. I’m sure the dishes you prepare with them definitely spread the fresh flavors in your kitchen. I’m amazed at your hard work Indira.

• By maya, May 24, 2010 @ 1:23 pm

My mom makes a grated zucchini omlette and zucchini mung dal. they blend well.

• By sreelu, May 24, 2010 @ 4:44 pm

Indira, dosakaya vadiyalu is my fav, very simple to make. Soak pesalu over night and grind course with ginger and chilies and jeera. make sure no water is added. then add cubes dosakaya and salt and mix well and add few tbsp of rice flour for crunchiness and deep fry. one tasty vada’s I say. have fun with ur harvest we in CA have been experiencing unusually cold spring, can’t wait for summer :)

• By Sapna, May 24, 2010 @ 4:58 pm

Those pequins look cute. I have planted Cherokee Purple too. I heard purple tomatoes are the best tasting. Love to hear from you about their taste.

• By Indira, May 24, 2010 @ 8:07 pm

Thanks, Gowri!

Sowmya: Happy, yes. Jealous, please don’t be. It makes me sad to read that.

Thanks Haritha and Sonia.

Jai Ma Shambhavi. It’s so good to hear from you. How are you and hope the book is doing well.
    I am going to look for those products. That natural vinegar sounds really good. Thanks for the ideas.

Sandhya: I wish my father in law was here this summer too. He would have loved your pickle idea. This is similar to carrot-radish pickle I prepare. But here with cucumber. Really interesting. I’ll prepare a small batch sometime this week. Thanks for the idea.

Ramya: Thanks. I’d have shared the harvest with you if you were here in Houston.:)

Vidhya: I definitely see the possibility for a tasty cucumber pickle. Thanks for the link.

Nandita: how are you, my friend? I guess the baby is keeping you busy and away from us.:)
    I have dahi and homemade curry leaf podi. Will try it for tomorrow’s meal. Thanks for the suggestion.

Usha: Bookmarked the link for Pulikuthi Upperi. Thanks!

Thanks Sridevi and NS.

Maya: Mom’s recipes, then I’ve to try.:) I’ll try that zucchini moong dal and omelette combination. Thanks for the ideas.

Sreelu: Dosakaya vadiyaalu, sounds really good. Will make some when I have some friends over. Thanks for the recipe.

Sapna: Good choice there with cherokee purple. Mine is still ripening on the counter. The color is almost like clotted blood, that deep. I hope the hype matches the taste.:)

• By Shambhavi, May 25, 2010 @ 11:40 am

Thanks, Indira, for remembering me. In fact, I found out just this week that my book, “Pilgrims to Openness,” won a silver medal IPPY (Independent Publisher Book Award) for best books about religion in 2009.

Also just made mung dosa with homemade sprouts and grated veggies. Yum.

• By Gini, May 25, 2010 @ 9:05 pm

Wow! That okra looks so good. My veggie patch needs some more action.

• By Sakuntala, May 26, 2010 @ 1:32 am

Hi India,
    Your workout vratham semms to be working!!..

By the way, I am in search of peacock tapestry (that you posted in June 2006), since last Friday. No luck. Can you send me the design chart and stitching guide.

Thank you.
    Sakuntala

• By Madhu, May 26, 2010 @ 7:03 am

Hi Indira, love ur post & your vegetable basket from ur garden. Here is simple but delicious pickle recipe: wash & dry the cukes (no need to peel) & cut them round or long & add some green peppers & add some coarsly grinded mustard seeds (rai reg. black one) salt & haldi red pepper pd. if not using green one & add heated oil on room temp. & shake the bottle & after three days its ready to consume & store in the fridge caz it gives longer shelf life. enjoy.

Perfect. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Madhu.

• By Sakuntala, May 26, 2010 @ 9:49 pm

Sorry Indira. I spelt your name wrong. Very sorry about it.

Sakuntala

• By Anu, May 26, 2010 @ 9:58 pm

I just recently discovered your amazing blog. I love your posts about your garden. For zucchini, you can try zucchini kootu from Vaishali’s blog:http://earthvegan.blogspot.com/2009/08/recipe-i-am-sharing-today-came-from.html.

• By Anne, May 28, 2010 @ 1:17 pm

Indira, your blog is a pleasure. I found it when looking for an Indian recipe this winter and have tried six or seven of your recipes, all to great success! I love the freshness and complexity of the tastes – and the fact that the recipes I’ve tried have not been difficult.

I would like to purchase a good basic Indian cookbook. Do you have a recommendation for me. I would like it to be from your region of the country as I find the food you prepare delicious.

Thank you! And many good harvests this season.