Mango Mirchi (Aam Stuffed Anaheim Chilli)

Homegrown Anaheim Peppers
Anaheim Peppers from My Veggie Garden

In mango mirchi, chillies are stuffed with green mango and pan-fried to golden. Easy to prepare and a tasty side dish, this is a must try recipe for sour mango-hot chilli flavor fanatics.

Anaheim Peppers and Mango Stuffing

Mango Mirchi
(for one or two meals)

4 chillies, (banana pepper or anaheim variety)
1/2 cup, cut mango pieces
1 tablespoon, sesame seeds
1/4 teaspoon, cumin seeds
1/4 teaspoon, salt or to taste
1 tablespoon, peanut oil

Mango: In a cast iron pan, add and dry-toast sesame seeds and cumin seeds to fragrance. Cool. Take them in a mixer. Grind to fine powder. To this sesame mix, add mango pieces and salt. Blend to fine paste without adding water. This is mango stuffing.

Mirchi: Cut off the stem and make a vertical slit. Remove the seeds. Gently open and stuff the chillies with mango stuffing. (If chillies are long, cut into two equal length pieces and then stuff.)

Mango Mirchi: Heat a cast-iron skillet. Add oil and heat over medium heat. When oil is hot, place the chillies in a single layer. Cook until golden brown. Using a spatula, gently turn the mango mirchi to other side and cook to brown. Remove and serve hot.

With sour-spicy taste, Mango mirchi makes a memorable side dish to rice and roti with dal, dahi or subji combination.

Mango Mirchi
Mango Mirchi Cooking in a Cast-Iron Skillet

Mango Mirchi
Mango Mirchi ~ for Meal Today

• By A Reader, June 16, 2010 @ 4:01 pm

Wow! Simple, novel and yet mouthwatering.

• By Kiran, June 16, 2010 @ 4:55 pm

These mango stuffed peppers look very delicious and tempting.Love all your home grown veggies and their colorful pictures.

• By indosungod, June 16, 2010 @ 5:55 pm

Indira, that is what they are? the mango stuffing I mean. Had this at a temple here and I could not place where the sour taste of the stuffing came from.

Can sesame seeds be substituted with something else?

• By Sonia, June 16, 2010 @ 6:27 pm

Never tried mango in mirchi stuffing. An innovative idea of summer meals.

• By hema, June 16, 2010 @ 6:30 pm

Indira, chala variety ga vundhe ee dish. Usual ga , ma amma besan flour stuffing petti chestharu..ilage..

Mee avakaya matram chala tempting andi..Mee intki eppudu rammantaru mari..

• By Sanjeeta kk, June 17, 2010 @ 12:05 am

Mangoes galore. Reminds of my hometown Rajasthan. The pickle is a common feature in all houses. Never tried with sesame filling. Must try.

• By Prasanti, June 17, 2010 @ 8:00 am

wowww , this looks gr8, i want to try this, but don’t have a cast iron pan, could i cook it on ANY heavy bottomed pan instead? ….please suggest…..i love anything with chillies…thanks for such amazing posts…

• By kalva, June 17, 2010 @ 9:46 am

yummm!!! love these peppers nanamma makes the same way!

• By Siri, June 17, 2010 @ 11:45 am

W.O.W, this is such a simple and mouthwatery dish. I can actually feel the tanginess from the last pic :D . It has been a while I visited your blog Indira. right now, I am kinda busy with my move from east coast to west coast. I hope everything is well at ur end.

Best,
    Siri

• By kumudha, June 17, 2010 @ 2:27 pm

I just love all your yummy recipes.

Thank you so much the recipes and great food pictures!

• By Madhuri, June 17, 2010 @ 3:27 pm

Indira Garu,

Mouthwatering dish. What is your inspiration behind this dish?

• By Gini, June 17, 2010 @ 4:10 pm

I can only imagine how good they taste. Yum!

• By rashmi, June 17, 2010 @ 6:02 pm

very nice unique dish for mango and pepper lovers…like me… thank u indra

• By Vandya, June 18, 2010 @ 12:57 am

This is one mind blowing combination. How do you come up with such recipes?

• By Gauri, June 18, 2010 @ 2:23 am

really innovative.. should try it while we still get raw mangoes..

• By Manju Rajender, June 18, 2010 @ 8:02 am

Beautiful pics…very ceative recipe Indira.

• By RV, June 18, 2010 @ 9:31 am

This is awesome, I can really feel the heat here. Can’t wait to try this in my kitchen.

• By Kay, June 18, 2010 @ 9:56 am

Never heard or tasted this one before. I got everything I need for this to make it a weekend special.

• By The Housewife, June 18, 2010 @ 1:57 pm

This looks so tasty! I love anything to do with chilies and mangoes! I’ve bookmarked this recipe!

• By Indira, June 18, 2010 @ 2:37 pm

Great to see fellow fans of mango-mirchi combination.

This recipe is inspired by our traditional deep-fried mirchi bajji. This is my healthier take.

Indo: Sesame acts like binding agent in mango stuffing. Replace it with a tablespoon of besan or pappula podi (dalia powder). Little bit of sugar or jaggery could be added to the mix to add some sweet touch.

Hema: Meeru tappakunda raavaali maa intiki. Vacche vaaram randi mari.

Prasanthi: Any thick bottomed skillet could work for this recipe.

Siri: So good to see you back. Hope the move went well and you are adjusting to the new life with great summer spirit.

Kay: This is a good, weekend special dish. Let me know how you two like it. Thanks.

• By Kay, June 20, 2010 @ 2:04 pm

It came out great… I got big peepers so my stuffing was only enough for 2 peppers and we were craving for more …. Thanks Indira, this will now be a special dish I will make often.

• By Sumana, June 21, 2010 @ 7:17 am

Good one in time for my Banana pepper harvest Indira! I was tired of the same old Mirchi ka salan, kurma and bajji. Thanks!

• By Manju, June 27, 2010 @ 9:35 pm

this is definitely a must try for me!!

• By RedChillies, July 7, 2010 @ 10:17 am

Goodness Indira, I cannot even begin to tell you how thrilled I am to see this recipe. Both me and DH love raw mango, peppers and never in our wildest dreams did we imagine combining them like this. We had months ago tried making stuffed besan masala peppers but did not like it that much.
    But then one I am sure will be a hit with us. Will try it this weekend and let you know. Thanks.

• By RedChillies, July 12, 2010 @ 10:31 am

We tried this recipe during the weekend and loved it. Thanks for this.

So happy to read that you tried and liked this mango mirchi, RC. Thanks for your comments.