Dahi Mirchi with Pequin Peppers

One good thing about Houston’s radiant weather is I could do my culinary sun salutations with ease.

Here is a traditional Bharath culinary sun salutation with Mexican pequin peppers. I bought a small pequin pepper plant last year from FBMG. It survived the snowy winter and now thriving with fresh growth and abundant fruit. A general rule of thumb with mirchis is the smaller the mirchi, the hotter it tends to be. It’s no exception for pequin peppers. The itty-bitty pequin peppers pack a punch both fresh and sun-dried as dahi mirchi. I started adding them to tadka that we season the daals and curries. Salty, sour and hot, dahi pequin peppers are a real treat.

This age-old Bharath technique of preserving the chillies in dahi is easy. The process needs some patience and lots of sunshine. Here is the photo pictorial.

Fully Mature Pequin Pepper on 5 Rupee Coin

Add a cup of pequin peppers to a cup of dahi (Indian Yogurt). Mix a tablespoon of salt. Keep uncovered for three days on the kitchen countertop. Stir once a day. Dahi acts like preserving agent here.

Drain the dahi and reserve the pequin peppers. Spread them on a cloth and sun dry under hot afternoon sun until they are completely dry. Takes about 2 to 3 days depending on the sunshine.

Salty, Sour and Spicy ~ Sun-dried Dahi Pequin Peppers

Sun-dried Dahi Pequin Peppers ~ Toasted in Tadka

From Yesteryears:
More about Dahi Mirchi (Majjiga Mirapa)
Dahi Mirchi with Cayenne

• By Shoba, June 29, 2010 @ 12:59 pm

Oh wow,

Droool…looks so amazing and mouth watering…almost like our equivalent to “thayir molaga”…I specially love your tadka vessel…with the little spout to pour out the ingredients…Is it a heritage vessel passed on from ur mom? Or is it new???

Shobha

• By Kiran, June 29, 2010 @ 2:58 pm

Looks so delicious and first time seeing a pequin pepper.

• By Sudha, June 29, 2010 @ 3:03 pm

Wow, Indira garu! Bulli bulli mirapa kaayalu bhale andamga vunnayi populo. Regular mirapa kayalni theesi pakkana pettinatlu kaakunda, veetini thineyyochchu enchakka!!!

• By Sanjeeta kk, June 29, 2010 @ 5:24 pm

Beautiful article. Never seen this pepper before. Its fun to drop here often for such surprising treats!

• By Suman Singh, June 29, 2010 @ 7:37 pm

never seen pequin pepper before..they looks so cute..liked the step by step pictorial..

• By Gini, June 29, 2010 @ 8:05 pm

Cool pictorial.

• By The Housewife, June 30, 2010 @ 12:39 am

Looks so good! I never would have thought of preserving the pequin peppers…Great idea! Wish I lived next door to you…

• By Sonia, June 30, 2010 @ 12:59 am

This pepper variety is new to me. Good to know about new variety. Good pictorial. :)

• By Narayan, June 30, 2010 @ 2:23 am

I agree with Shoba’s comment – it is drool worthy, and like Suman Singh, I have never seen a pequin pepper. But if it is like the standrad Thair Molagai that many Tamilians are familiar with, then I can imagine how tasty these will be.

Thanks.

• By Hari Chandana, June 30, 2010 @ 10:45 am

Woww… wonderful idea.. very creaive !!

• By Maya, June 30, 2010 @ 11:16 am

I have never seen this type of pepper before. I love curd cured chillies. Thank you for sharing.

• By Rachana, June 30, 2010 @ 12:20 pm

It is really smart of you to place the pepper on a 5 rupee coin. Its a really tiny pepper. I absolutely love dahi mirchi! Looks delicious!

• By Vandya, June 30, 2010 @ 11:08 pm

Indira, i have never heard of such peppers before.Do they taste like the green peppers that we get in the south India?

• By Pavani, June 30, 2010 @ 11:27 pm

Very cute peppers. They look like peanuts after drying. Interesting to know so many varieties of vegetables around the world. Thanks to Internet and enthusiastic people like you.

• By Cumin Coriander, July 1, 2010 @ 9:15 am

The first picture on the 5 Rupee coin is fantastic. Is ths the same as Manathakkali / ‘Kamanchi Chettu’ (courtesy google)

• By Kay, July 1, 2010 @ 9:46 am

Looks cute and tempting. I saw some of these at central market, now I am going to attempt to buy some.

• By Aparna, July 1, 2010 @ 11:46 am

So sorry to your article, the picture is too too good to even go thru the write up :) let me read now..

• By Indira, July 1, 2010 @ 3:40 pm

Thanks all for your comments.
    This is my second year with pequin peppers. They are still new and I wanted to show how itty-bitty these cuties are. They are very hot mirchi. Just one is enough to turn the cheeks red.

Hi Shoba: Thanks. You could say it is a heritage vessel, because it’s been with me for almost ten years. Purchased it here in one of those local camping stores.

• By Mona, July 2, 2010 @ 3:21 am

Indira, those peppers are so tiny!

• By Deepa, August 3, 2010 @ 10:40 am

Love it! Will try to get this pepper. Else planning to try this with regular chillies. The description and pics brought back the taste of Mor Molaga:)

Thanks, Deepa. Regular chillies are perfect for mor molaga.:)

• By Sue Lovegren, September 11, 2010 @ 7:46 am

I live in South Texas. We have several chili pequin plants on our property here in San Benito, Texas. I am curious as to why the green pepper shown was described as “mature”. The chili pequin plants here are bright red when they reach full maturity.
    This is a very interesting recipe and I am anxious to try this method of preserving the pequins. Thank you very much.